Type of Marriage Licenses

Before a marriage license can be purchased, questions concerning which type of license is appropriate may want to be discussed with an attorney. Neither the County Clerk nor his deputies are permitted by law to give legal advice and/or assistance.

Regular Public License

  • Open to authorized members of the public
  • May be used anywhere in the State of California
  • One witness required (besides person performing ceremony)

Confidential License

  • Not open to the public
  • Copies are issued only to the couple
  • May be used anywhere in the State of California
  • No witnesses required
  • Applicants must be living together as spouses
  • Confidential marriage licenses are also offered by authorized notaries

License for Denominations Not Having Clergy

To be used by those persons who, due to religious beliefs, are entering into a marriage without the participation of a minister, priest, rabbi, lay leader, or other person authorized to solemnize marriages.

Marriage License for Minors

If one or both parties requesting a marriage license are under the age of 18, then a court order must be obtained from the courts. A certified copy of the order shall be presented to the county clerk at the time the marriage license is issued. This applies to emancipated minors as well.

Obtain court form, FL-910 “Request for Minor to Marry”.

Minors may not be issued a confidential marriage license under any circumstances.

For additional information contact San Bernardino Superior Court.

Court Order Delayed Marriage

This license is required under any of the following situations:

  • When a marriage was performed without benefit of a license or the license was expired and the couple is unwilling to sign and acknowledge on the marriage license that they are not married and/or they do not agree to participate in a second ceremony.
  • When the requirements to be issued a License and Certificate of Declaration of Marriage cannot be met because the marriage occurred less than one year ago, the couple cannot provide two witnesses who were present at the ceremony; or there is only one spouse available to apply.
  • To record a marriage which occurred in another state or country where the record no longer exists, e.g., was destroyed or lost.
  • For additional information see California Department of Public Health

Declaration of Marriage

To be used by those persons who wish to declare an already existing licensed California marriage for which no official record exists, and more than one year has passed since the date of the marriage.