Copies of Birth, Death & Marriage Certificates

San Bernardino County only has records of births and deaths that occurred in San Bernardino County or marriage licenses that were purchased in San Bernardino County. Copies of marriage certificates may be purchased approximately two weeks after the original marriage license is received and recorded in the Recorder-County Clerk’s office. Only the parties to the marriage may be provided a certified copy of a confidential marriage record.

For all other vital records you must contact the county in which the event is registered or contact the California Department of Public Health at (916) 445-2684.

Vital Record copies can be ordered online through a third party vendor VitalChek.
*Additional service fee charges will apply. Note: Processing time can vary and may take up to 3-4 weeks.

1972-1977 Birth Certificates: In accordance with the Federal Social Security Act, Federal Privacy Act of 1974, and the California Information Practices Act, all social security numbers on birth certificates must be redacted prior to issuance. Please be advised this may cause a delay in processing your request.

How to obtain this service…

*Appointments are strongly encouraged and prioritized.

Third Party Vendor

Vital Record copies can be ordered online through a third party vendor called VitalChek.

*Additional service fee charges will apply. Note: Processing time can vary and may take up to 3-4 weeks.

Please contact VitalChek directly for any questions regarding their online process at (800) 669-8312.

Birth Certificate: $32

Death Certificate: $24

Marriage Certificate: $17

Complete Fee Schedule

A certified copy is a copy of a primary document that has on it a stamped seal of San Bernardino County signifying that it is a true copy of the primary document.

The Recorder-County Clerk’s office must receive a completed application. An informational copy will display a legend that states “INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY.” The statement shall be placed on the certificate in a manner that will not conceal information.

Informational copies should not be purchased in order to obtain a driver’s license, social security card, state I.D. card, passport, or for insurance claims or coverage.

The Recorder-County Clerk’s office may provide a certified copy of a birth, death, or public marriage certificate to an authorized person only.

  • The registrant or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant.
  • A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of FC3140 or 7603.
  • A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental, as provided by law, who is conducting official business.
  • A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse, or domestic partner of the registrant.
  • An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant’s estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant’s estate.
  • Any funeral director who orders certified copies of a death certificate on behalf of any individual specified HSC7100, paragraphs 1 to 5.

For information on various services such as:

  • Certified copies of fetal death and still birth certificates
  • Adoptions or changes in paternity
  • Court order name changes
  • Out of hospital birth

Contact the California Department of Public Health, Office of Vital Records.

If you are requesting a copy of a birth record of a child who has been adopted, or had a legal name change, contact California Department of Public Health, Office of Vital Records.

The Recorder-County Clerk’s office does not maintain court records. If you are searching for a divorce decree, you will need to contact the court in which the divorce was filed. San Bernardino Court

If you were born in another state, write, or go to, the vital statistics office in the state or area where the event occurred. Where To Write for Vital Records

If you are a U.S. citizen and were born abroad, visit the U.S. State Department Website.

We do not provide the following services:

  • Passports
  • Divorce Filings
  • Court Records
  • Traffic Tickets