Authorized Persons to Perform Marriage Ceremonies

Marriages may be solemnized by several different officials, including but not limited to: priests, ministers, rabbis, and authorized persons of any religious denomination; judges, magistrates, current Members of Congress, California Constitutional Officers and State Legislators; and some local elected officials. Officiant must be at least 18 years old.

The County Clerk is designated as a commissioner of civil marriages, and may appoint Deputy Commissioners of Civil Marriages/Commissioner of the Day who may solemnize marriages under the direction of the commissioner of civil marriages.

In addition a county may license officials of a nonprofit religious institution, whose articles of incorporation are registered with the Secretary of State, to solemnize the marriages of persons who are affiliated with or are members of the religious institution. The licensee shall possess the degree of doctor of philosophy and must perform religious services or rites for the institution on a regular basis. The marriages shall be performed without fee to the parties.