Legal Advice Limitation:

  • The Assessor’s Office is prohibited from giving legal advice. It may be advisable to consult an attorney because of the legal aspects involved in holding title to property or transferring title.

How To Transfer Title:

  • Name changed to the tax records on real property cannot be made by request, only by documents recorded in the Office of the San Bernardino County Recorder.
  • To change the name(s) on real property, the present owner(s) may execute a new deed conveying the property from the name(s) as they presently appear, to the name(s) that will be used to hold title. Full names of all parties must be used. The new deed should state how title will be held, i.e., joint tenants, tenant in common, etc. The new deed must be acknowledged by a Notary Public.
  • Deed forms may be obtained from stationery stores that carry legal forms. They are not available in this office, however, some forms can also be found on the Recorder’s Website.
  • The deed must be recorded in the county where the property is located. There is a fee for the recordation.
  • A Preliminary Change of Ownership Report should be completed, signed, and returned with the document. If it is not completed and submitted, an additional fee of $20.00 will be required for recording. If you need assistance in completing this form, call (909) 387-8307.

For property in San Bernardino County, please contact the Recorder’s Office for information regarding procedures.

San Bernardino County Recorder
Hall of Records
222 W. Hospitality Lane
San Bernardino, CA 92415-0022
Telephone: (909) 387-8306